Today marks the beginning of a month-plus community service effort called "Serv-a-palooza"Read more
STRATHAM, N.H., USA, April 21, 2011 - The Timberland Company has long recognized the importance of community greening, hosting Earth Day community service events for 13 consecutive years. This year, Timberland will continue this deep commitment through a global push to complete 130 community greening and revitalization projects in over 25 countries.
Community greening can take many forms, from planting trees and gardens to sustainable landscaping, and all of it requires enthusiastic volunteers. As part of its continued focus on improving local communities, more than 7,200 volunteers will unite in Timberland-hosted Earth Day events - generating over 50,000 hours of service. Some examples of Timberland projects taking place in celebration of Earth Day include:
• New York, NY: Partnering with GrowNYC to help maintain the Wanaqua Family Garden in the Bronx - a 10,000 square foot plot of land that contains 20 community vegetable beds as well as a children's garden where students and area residents come to visit. Some planned activities for the day include: digging post holes for a shade structure, planting vegetables with students, cleaning-up wrought iron fencing, and planting garden boxes.
• Beijing, China: Planting 350 trees as part of Timberland's "Green Great Wall" program. Launched on Earth Day 2010, Timberland committed to planting 2 million trees across the northwest rim of China skirting the Gobi Desert and forming a shelterbelt of trees to reduce the sandstorm threat to Beijing. Timberland's business partners will continue the effort and plant an additional 2,150 trees throughout the month of April.
• Madrid, Spain: Partnering with Madridejos City Hall to plant 300 trees and build a fence to protect the area. Timberland's 15 volunteers will be joined by 40 students who will engage in an environmental activity to learn the importance of reforestation and environmental protection.
• Santiago, Dominican Republic: Approximately 300 Timberland volunteers will be joined by over 100 partners and community volunteers to plant 5,000 - 7,000 trees in "Rafey's Park" in Santiago City. This project marks the continuation of an ongoing effort to reforest the park.
• Dover, NH: 75 Timberland volunteers will serve at the Horne Street School in Dover to landscape the area to complement their newly renovated environmentally efficient building. Sustainable landscape improvements will include a community garden, new fitness stations throughout the grounds, and outdoor group activities.
"Our commitment to community greening and reforestation is year-round and worldwide," explains Timberland President and CEO Jeff Swartz. "But we're grateful for the opportunity to reaffirm that commitment with projects large and small, benefitting local community organizations and entire regions alike, on Earth Day."
In New Hampshire, home to the company's corporate headquarters, Timberland will be serving at eight service sites across the state. Over 750 employees and partners will work together to benefit schools, parks, camps, community centers and social service organizations. These community projects impact a wide variety of causes including education, youth recreation, senior citizens, the physically challenged, family services and the environment.
Beyond its commitment to community greening, Timberland is dedicated to alleviating hunger, creating jobs, protecting wildlife and preserving the environment through its ongoing global reforestation efforts. Having already planted more than 1 million trees, the company has pledged to plant five million trees in five years. To learn more about Timberland's tree planting efforts, visit http://community.timberland.com/Tree-Planting.
To see photos, highlights and additional coverage of Timberland's Earth Day events, visit The Timberland Bootmakers Blog.
Timberland (NYSE: TBL) is a global leader in the design, engineering and marketing of premium-quality footwear, apparel and accessories for consumers who value the outdoors and their time in it. Timberland markets products under the Timberland®, Timberland PRO®, Mountain Athletics®, SmartWool®, Timberland Boot Company® and howies® brands, all of which offer quality workmanship and detailing and are built to withstand the elements of nature. The company's products can be found in leading department and specialty stores as well as Timberland® retail stores throughout North America, Europe, Asia, Latin America, South America, South Africa and the Middle East. Timberland's dedication to making quality products is matched by the company's commitment to "doing well and doing good" -- forging powerful partnerships among employees, consumers and service partners to transform the communities in which they live and work. To learn more about Timberland, please visit www.timberland.com.
For more information, please contact:
Cara Vanderbeck | The Timberland Company
Email Cara Vanderbeck