STRATHAM, N.H., USA, September 16, 2010 – Carrying on a unique tradition of commitment to local community service, The Timberland Company's 13th annual Serv-a-palooza gets underway today. This popular service event continues to unite volunteers in 24 countries around the world in the common goal of improving local communities.
As part of this initiative, more than 4,800 volunteers working at 160 Serv-a-palooza project sites globally will generate 35,000 hours of service. Following this year's theme of Community Greening and Revitalization, these projects will include:
- Restoring the beauty of a wildlife reserve in London, England that supports a number of important ecological habitats and a rich variety of wildlife.
- Transforming a foster care facility in Madrid, Spain by planting a vegetable garden, constructing a leisure area in the outdoors, and painting exterior walls.
- Preparing a garden that was created during a Timberland Earth Day event for winter by planting bulbs, removing weeds and trimming overgrown bushes in Munich, Germany.
- Enhancing learning opportunities for kids in Zhuhai, China through classroom renovation projects.
- Renovating a softball field, building 2 dugouts, planting shade trees, clearing brush and posting signage for the growing Girls Softball Association in Portsmouth, NH.
“Timberland believes, and has always believed, that we have a responsibility to help effect change in the communities where we work and live,” said Jeffrey Swartz, President and CEO of Timberland. “Serv-a-palooza is an opportunity for our employees to lend their talents and passion to a larger effort, joining business partners, civic leaders, nonprofit organizations and consumers in creating positive, sustainable impact in communities all over the world.”
In New Hampshire, home to the company’s corporate headquarters, Timberland will be participating in 12 service sites across the state. Over 700 employees and partners will work together to benefit schools, parks, camps, community centers and social service organizations. These community projects impact a wide variety of causes including education, youth recreation, senior citizens, the physically challenged, family services and the environment.
In the interest of creating sustainable change, Serv-a-palooza projects are designed to address community needs by providing volunteers with an opportunity to foster long-term relationships and the opportunity to build on previous progress year after year. The end result is strong connections with partner organizations, and greater long-term impact against community needs.
Timberland (NYSE: TBL) is a global leader in the design, engineering and marketing of premium-quality footwear, apparel and accessories for consumers who value the outdoors and their time in it. Timberland markets products under the Timberland®, Timberland PRO®, Mountain Athletics®, SmartWool®, Timberland Boot Company®, howies® and IPATH® brands, all of which offer quality workmanship and detailing and are built to withstand the elements of nature. The company’s products can be found in leading department and specialty stores as well as Timberland® retail stores throughout North America, Europe, Asia, Latin America, South Africa and the Middle East. Timberland’s dedication to making quality products is matched by the company’s commitment to “doing well and doing good" -- forging powerful partnerships among employees, consumers and service partners to transform the communities in which they live and work. To learn more about Timberland, please visit http://www.timberland.com/. To learn more about becoming an Earthkeeper, visit http://www.earthkeeper.com/.